Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Rights of Passage

I think what makes a person a mom is going through certain rights of passage. They are those things that all moms go through sometime or another - often more than once. They are things that are difficult, heartwarming, sad, terrifying, and funny (sometimes the humor doesn't come right away!) After three kids I have hit several of these marks (with plenty more to come) - carrots in Vienna's nose, a bead in her ear (seeing a trend?), rushing to the doctor in the middle of the night, first fevers, first smiles, fingernail polish, first laughs, getting thrown up on, first I love yous...the list goes on and on.

Recently I decided that I should keep track of these moments. Someday I want to tell my children about them when they are new parents and to remind myself of the humor in the things that happen with my kids.

Today I hit a new right of passage.....THE PERMANENT MARKER. It constantly amazes me how FAST my kids can get themselves into a whole lot of trouble. It is very possible that they could hold the world record. Paul and I were upstairs lamenting BYU's losing Brandon Davis when Vienna came up and said quite nonchalantly "Bristol is using Mommy's marker." This is never a good sign.

I went downstairs to find Bristol using a black permanent marker with surprising efficiency, considering her lack of practice. We now own one less pair of pajamas and several books went through a redesign process. Miraculously, our carpet was spared and the girls didn't really have too much marker on them. I realized in retrospect I should have taken a picture - I will next time because lets face I am guaranteed a next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment